In July 2020, Property NSW successfully completed a 1MW Solar Project with Solpod.
Solpod partnered with ERM Power to offer a modular solar product that would suit the needs of Property NSW. Prior to Solpod’s commercial movable solar product, rooftop solar required the customer to purchase a fixed solar asset and a 20 year commitment to see a material return on the investment. Leasing arrangements within Property NSW’s portfolio meant they needed flexible solar.
Solpod’s solar systems have been installed at 15 Property NSW sites, but are not locked in to any one site. The Solpods are prefabricated in a quality controlled factory environment, trucked to site and installed by UCS Solar, our contractor at site. The modular solar pods installed at Property NSW locations can be moved between sites.
James Larratt, CEO of Solpod, says of the 1MW Property NSW project: “We are grateful to Property NSW, ERM Power and UCS Solar for working with us to achieve this significant milestone. Property NSW will always be our first MW partner.”
The 1MW Project was supported by a grant awarded to Solpod from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA). Property NSW was a participant in the ‘Proof of Concept’ of Solpod’s redpeployable solar solution. See ARENA’s Project page to find out more about Solpod’s solar innovation.
1MW of solar pods have been installed at 15 Property NSW properties. Property NSW reported the following project successes:
- “1370 MWh of renewable energy generated.”
- “Annual saving to Property NSW of $325,000.”
- “Payback between 2.6 and 3.3 years.”
- “Return on Investment of 30 to 38% for the state and community.”
- “Creating jobs and supporting innovation.”
In a statement by Property NSW about the project: “Property NSW is proud to be part of the project leading by example towards NSW’s NetZero Plan Stage 1: 2030 goals.”
Solpod developed the world’s first re-deployable solar rooftop PV system. The Solpods are prefabricated ‘pods’ of 10-12 solar panels each, that are easy to install and remove. Find out more about Solpod’s innovation in solar PV technology.
As Solpods are moveable, they are particularly suitable for:
- Commercial and industrial sites that are being leased;
- Property sites that are planning a redevelopment;
- Businesses that do not to want their roofs penetrated by fixing solar arrays to roofs, like coolstores. Solpods adhesive fixtures do not pierce the roof sheet and roof warranties remain intact.
- Businesses looking to benefit from rooftop solar, but can only commit to solar for less than 5 years.
- Businesses looking at moving within several years, and would like to take the rooftop solar array with them to a new location.
Larratt says, “I would like to thank Property NSW for choosing Australian manufacturing and innovation.”
Property NSW released the following visual summary of the 1MW Solpod Project: